AVI vs...? bake off anyone?

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: AVI vs...? bake off anyone?

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Anyone joining to tell them. I can't, I joined a month ago and was banned after one benign ordinary post.

George Hincapie
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

I've joined the forum and posted in that thread to add some balance and keep things pleasant.

Neilwootton

Unread post by Neilwootton »

I've joined the AVI forum and posted a reply.
I am the NVA loan participant Darius forwarded the items too, I have reviewed NVA items recently purchased clearly stating how good it sounds through my AVI Nu-neutron monitors.
Where as reviews, good or bad are healthy and informative the problem here arose on the state the items were forwarded to me. Any reviewers that forward equipment with such disregard, speakers filthy dirty, dented woofer grill, amplifier missing 2 feet, cables bent at angles as to damage them, no protection or adequate packaging would receive the same derision from any manufacturer or forum. It is simply a matter of respect or lack of it. That is the problem, not the review.
Thanks, Neil.

darius-lpv

Unread post by darius-lpv »

Neilwootton wrote:I blamed him because it was his fault ! Not rocket science is it ?
Not to mention the dented Cube 2 grill.
By this entry you just proved you are a half brain cunt ( language of this place) of the highest order. Why? You posted a picture of a dented grill in another thread and you’ve been told by Rich why the grill is dented and yet you blame me now. I have every right to think that you’ve made up all this crap about broken box and wet amp or cables coming out of the box because you did not like my impressions.

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

*sigh*

Neilwootton

I did not realise the dented grill had been done after the speakers had left Richard until he informed me so. I suggest you actually read the posts. Richard picked it up, not me.
I care not for you muddled, illiterate impressions. You treat people and their possessions as you have and you will be called a jackass by all.
I guess a tenth of my brain is more cognitive than a half of yours Sir, think about it Mr Dumbasiness.

darius-lpv

you've started this
http://hifisubjectivist.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48071
thread today and you've posted a picture of a dented grill
and you've got an answer: "I was out of proper grilles when these were first sent out so I used some cheap temp ones"
and you still blame me for a dented grill you silly fukwit?

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

I agree with everyone here. This "review" is made up.
I can say this with complete confidence; why, because quite independently of the Doc, long before I joined HFS I used damping at the junction of a driver dustcap and the cone. The Doc uses rubber solution glue rings, I used black-tack rings.
The sole aim of this driver modification is to eliminate nasality and allow proper vocal reproduction.
This deceptively simple mod, allows a smooth upper roll-off, peak free, meaning good transition to a tweeter and enables the use of a simple first order filter ie a capacitor to be used as the crossover. The effect of this is to open the window wide onto the midrange and thus the musical performance.
Under these conditions it is completely impossible for the midrange to be nasty and nasal....end of. I don't care what he says. After modding like this, the ONLY way nastiness could be re-introduced into the speaker would be excessive internal damping being applied. The Doc doesn't use it so that settles that.

As for excess bass, the oft-used criticism of sealed box speakers back in the day, was that they lacked bass extension. Sealed boxes need to be near to rear walls to help the bottom end and that is in a front facing arrangement. Hence the term, "bookshelf speaker" to describe these older sealed boxes. Firing a bass/mid driver upwards kills room modes very effectively, allowing the speaker to do its thing without interference from the room itself, so there is no battle with the room in the conventional sense and the speaker breathes easily.

I do a similar thing with my own design Metronome speakers by firing the transmission line port downwards at the floor. This has almost the exact same effect as firing the main driver upwards. It's still vertical firing, just in the opposite direction to the Doc, but the effect is still to allow the speaker to be used in close proximity to room boundaries without booming. Why the fook does he think that 99.9% of active subs fire downwards. They do it for a reason, which is, to shake the room with LF effects, without deafening the listener with boom and thrum.

I've been designing and building speakers on and off since the age of 14 and as I said, given what I know and have learned over the years, I know for a fact that this review is BS.
I've no axe to grind as the only NVA gear I own is a phono stage. I do however know enough about speaker design to know that the review is so shot full of holes it could be used as a colander.
Last edited by SteveTheShadow on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Neilwootton

Again retard, read the post, Richard stated he used a temporary grill, NOT A TEMPORARY DENTED GRILL ! he stated that was done AFTER they left him. Clear enough ? Get it ? Dented after they left him ! Understand ? AFTER ! I'll smoke signal it if you still don't get it.
What a cock ! FFS :twisted: hilarious really.

darius-lpv

lots of bs in your post but it might be hard to correct as you've been doing it since 14