Squeezebox V3 (Classic)

All general audio posts go here.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Squeezebox V3 (Classic)

Unread post by slinger »

Well, looks like I might be back to scouting out a SB3. After relating all of my good experiences on eBay as opposed to the one or two that went South the other day I've had 2 in a row crash and burn now. The first one had apparently damaged the DAB tuner in a house move and instantly refunded my money. Nothing to do with the fact I won it for £30.00. Oh no, of course not. Today I got a message about the tuner I "won" yesterday. At least this guy was straight with me in so much as he couldn't find the remote so offered me a discount or a refund. I need the remote. I took the refund. I'm back to searching eBay after deleting everything applicable I had in my watch list last night. :doh:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

for what it's worth, I've just bought a Squeezebox Duet...if the sale doesn't blow up in my face again. :lol:

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Good luck with this one.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

Interesting stuff. The squeeze certainly needs a better pus than the standard wall wart which seems to inject a lot of noise into the squeeze. The Teddy just lowers the noise floor and lets the box do it's job. Simple but effective.

Slinger, good luck with the duet and please let us all know what you think of it.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Somehow I don't think an upgraded psu is on the cards, considering I paid less than a hundred quid for the Duet itself and it'll be used mostly for wife-friendly background music courtesy of internet radio. Hence the rather spiffy and (hopefully, once I get everything configured) easy to operate remote. She'll probably end up using it more often than me. Her eyes did light up when I said it would give her access to my album collection though. :lol:

I shall report back once it's configured and I've stopped swearing at it. :mrgreen:

vrazjigwb

Unread post by vrazjigwb »

I've used to have an @-tunes modified Squeezebox+:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/at-tunes_e.html

Really superb piece of gear which ran rounds around many CD players I've had at the time.

Here's a description of the modifications from the designer:
"we completely disconnect the clock, DAC, digital and analogue output circuitry of the base SqueezeBox, and fit our own designed circuit boards, together with state-of-the-art multi-stage voltage regulation. To complete the transformation, we add our own linear PSU with a multi-core interconnect to power the Player.

In addition to the improvements we've made to the clocks, power supplies and analogue outputs, we've also carefully re-designed the S/PDIF digital output driver, using a transformer-coupled balanced output circuit."

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

Her eyes did light up when I said it would give her access to my album collection though. :o

This LPS looks a bit of a bargain. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-version-1 ... 1922367224

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

slinger wrote:Somehow I don't think an upgraded psu is on the cards, considering I paid less than a hundred quid for the Duet itself and it'll be used mostly for wife-friendly background music courtesy of internet radio. Hence the rather spiffy and (hopefully, once I get everything configured) easy to operate remote. She'll probably end up using it more often than me. Her eyes did light up when I said it would give her access to my album collection though. :lol:

I shall report back once it's configured and I've stopped swearing at it. :mrgreen:
The low hanging fruit to be had is to find a used linear power supply off Ebay of appropriate voltage/current and replace the stock switching one. In the US it can be done with an Elpac, which is used for commercial cash registers. A good one can be had for $30 to $50. An older linear charging block for a laptop could be used also. Just getting a better electrical supply will bump up the SQ level of it to start with. Then the enterprising folks go on to modifying the supply or buying a high quality one. Going to a precision regulated power supply meant to be used for lab/bench situations would be the next step. Say an Astron regulated power supply.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

antonio66 wrote: This LPS looks a bit of a bargain...
I'd be very wary of that vendor. Everything I've looked at that they're selling is marked as "last one" in stock. I've read of situations where somebody orders the "last one" of something from China and then gets a message that the last one is damaged and because they are a wonderful company they would not sell it to you, but for another tenner...

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Neonknight wrote:
The low hanging fruit to be had is to find a used linear power supply off Ebay of appropriate voltage/current and replace the stock switching one. In the US it can be done with an Elpac, which is used for commercial cash registers. A good one can be had for $30 to $50. An older linear charging block for a laptop could be used also. Just getting a better electrical supply will bump up the SQ level of it to start with. Then the enterprising folks go on to modifying the supply or buying a high quality one. Going to a precision regulated power supply meant to be used for lab/bench situations would be the next step. Say an Astron regulated power supply.
I shall keep an eye open for something appropriate, but it's not a priority at the moment. I'd probably look at new LPUs for the amp, buffer, dac, and phono first as they're all wall-warts too.