Polarity / Ground

All general audio posts go here.
r100
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Polarity / Ground

Unread post by r100 »

jammy395 wrote:r100 I prefer doc's ground rule No 1 - Keep it simple....... :clap:
The longer I live, the more I feel that simplicity is what it's all about. For sure.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well because I keep it simple then I have to put up with idiots like this, and he is a member here, you think he would ask me.

**************************************************************************************************

Today, 08:15
Yomanze

I'm Neil.

Here's more how an NVA amp looks like inside:

Image credit: http://www.hifishock.org/.

This amp dates from about 1995 and I fail to see what is wrong with it, it is just different to the way others do it - *DELIBERATELY*.

All anyone need to do is read and understand the interview and my groundrules on the old NVA website, but that is too much to ask. Yes it is simple!!!!!!, yes it has no wiring looms or tie wraps, yes there are no screws, yes it use solid tinned copper bars instead of wire where it can be done. ALL DELIBERATE and part of the design. You would think just maybe that someone with intelligence might guess that these things have something to do with the music, but no, it is different, so ignorant people behave ignorantly. AND by the way back in '95 I had a factory with 11 staff so it is highly unlikely there is any of my work in it apart from the design.

Ask any questions you want about it.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Hifishock - intresting site.
Yer amp inards look simple enough and business like to me... 8-) :clap:
And like you say amp in pic is 18 years old now.
Do you populate yer own boards Doc or have you got someone to do it for you ? :think: Well you did say fire away..... :whistle:
Cheers jammy.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

jammy395 wrote:Do you populate yer own boards Doc or have you got someone to do it for you ? :think: Well you did say fire away..... :whistle:
Cheers jammy.
I sub contract it to a company in Hoddesdon.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Interesting. I've always been of the opinion, rightly or wrongly, that - everything else being equal - more metal in a cable produces better sound and the less bits in the way, the better the sound. So, in a previous house, which I had to rewire, I put in two 10mm twin and earth cable spurs for the hi-fi - one for the source and one for the amps. I used switchless MK wall sockets. I thought it cleaned the sound up (although obviously a direct A/B comparison was not possible). I had the chance to do it again I'd use 13 amp fuseless sockets and plugs and maybe armoured cable. If I were asked why I thought it made it sound different, I would theorise (rightly or wrongly) that it allowed the amps to pull more current more quickly to better reproduce all those little musical peaks which contain musical information. To use a computer networking simile, it was done not to improve bandwidth (volume of flow) but latency (the time in between lumps of data) - people commonly confuse bandwidth and latency- in computer networking it's latency that kills sound and video (causing it to stall and jabber).

Anyway, the point being that you are using tinned copper bars here rather than wire which, I presume, are massively over specified for the electrical load they are carrying but, if my theory is correct, they're doing something similar to my 10mm cooker cable mains. There's plenty of pics up on hi fi shock showing pairs of wires neatly cable tied together but I'm guessing that that practice increases crosstalk between the bits of wire and so could degrade sound quality.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

terrybooth wrote: Anyway, the point being that you are using tinned copper bars here rather than wire which, I presume, are massively over specified for the electrical load they are carrying but, if my theory is correct, they're doing something similar to my 10mm cooker cable mains. There's plenty of pics up on hi fi shock showing pairs of wires neatly cable tied together but I'm guessing that that practice increases crosstalk between the bits of wire and so could degrade sound quality.
Not just could, it does, and I have proved it. Self appointed experts on forums are just idiots unless they have tried it. Just to use your eyes and say "it doesn't look like my (whatever) so it must be bad" then they just show their stupidity. The basis of all electronics is electromagnetic field, it is how all components operate apart from resistors. So by tying all the wires together in close proximity you create unwanted capacitance - inductance - and even some minor semiconductor effects. All unpredictable and all not part of the design, apart from to make ignorant people think it is neat and therefor must be better :roll:

Now bar v wire. Wire is stranded so has small inductive and capacitive influence, it also has a polymer dielectric of some sort, which again makes it a capacitor. Bar - no dielectric but air, and air is recognised as the best and most effective dielectric - no strands so no inductive effect - more metal than strands to pass current as you say.

Why should I have to explain these things to people who say they know about electronics - it is so basic it is pathetic. Now for any other types of electronics to quality hi-fi these thing make no difference as they are small effects, but in high quality audio it is easily heard. I did this work nearly 30 years ago, so don't these other so called experts know how to use their ears :?

We will now wait and see other saying it is their invention or copying it which has happened to things I have let out in the past like passive pre-amps and solid core wire. Both of those in the early 80's which is why I shut up.

r100

Unread post by r100 »

edit: multiple edits. This must be a saturday morning ??

I cannot comment on the esthetic / technical side of things (cabling, materials used, etc.) but I can confirm is that my ears (not my eyes) tell me that the mix in the box sounds excellent. I don't think Yomanze posted the pics to hurt NVA.

There is even an admirer of NVA on the other side of the channel

http://www.klang-projekt.de/nva_geschichte.htm
http://www.klang-projekt.de/verstaerker.htm
http://www.klang-projekt.de/vorverstaerker.htm

sc_ita

Unread post by sc_ita »

Clearly the guy was inspired by RD, even though I did not understand if the circuit is the same. Probably not. Of course it seems to take an effort to make it more Teutonic, all so rigidly orthogonal. Our RD products are surely more imaginative ;)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

They are direct copies, I had to warn him off in 2005. I don't mind what he does for himself but he was threatening to try and sell them - he hasn't.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Perhaps some of you should sign on at AoS to try and defend us from this sh*t.