Mains Cables (captive)

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Mains Cables (captive)

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sovereign wrote:RD did you not hard wire your speaker cable recently to your amps and found a sonic improvement ?
Yes all hard wiring improves things, all a plug and socket does is get in the way of connecting two bits of wire. BUT some applications for production are not practical and I think speaker cable is one of them, for individual tweaking though it could be a good choice.

Sovereign
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Sovereign »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Sovereign wrote:RD did you not hard wire your speaker cable recently to your amps and found a sonic improvement ?
Yes all hard wiring improves things, all a plug and socket does is get in the way of connecting two bits of wire. BUT some applications for production are not practical and I think speaker cable is one of them, for individual tweaking though it could be a good choice.
Those are my thoughts,

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Daniel Quinn wrote:That is a tad harsh on the magnificent European union , who not only made electronics safer for everybody , made sure intelligent amplifiers designers had a design loophole :D
Well it turned out I didn't need a loophole as the regs are not being policed. If they were *EVERY SINGLE* EU based valve amp manufacturer would be put out of business.
Didn't you know valve amps are excluded from the regs :lol:. Probably why people think valves sound better -simple unprotected circuit plus all that warm tubeyness.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Was the laugh smiley because you are joking. If not where have you read that valve amps are excluded from the regs, can you give me a link, as it is news to me.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Classicrock wrote: simple unprotected circuit plus all that warm tubeyness.
It would be hard to find a more effective protection and a more distortion adding / music changing circuit than a output transformer.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Was the laugh smiley because you are joking. If not where have you read that valve amps are excluded from the regs, can you give me a link, as it is news to me.
What do you think. LOL. I wouldn't class an output transformer as a circuit but excuse my ignorance - but it appears the bigger OT the better with valves.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

I reckon as with most things - this is a whole lot more complex an issue than that..... :think: what about OTL amps and i think a OT is a circuit. :shifty:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Classicrock wrote: What do you think. LOL. I wouldn't class an output transformer as a circuit but excuse my ignorance - but it appears the bigger OT the better with valves.
I would prefer not to have the ambivalent statement. Mostly it is a circuit to accommodate the transformer.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Can't spot it but I can remember it. Using LS2 as mains leads and a reason why it was better.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

And the other LS's are better again as mains cable but the agg is not worth the result. Can you imagine listing amps with 5 or 6 mains cable options. A line has to be drawn somewhere and in my opinion the differences are less or on a par with environmental differences like heat and humidity, so I have left things as they are.

IMO the most major improvement anyone can make with a hi-fi appliance mains cable is hardwire (both ends if poss).