Qobuz

All general audio posts go here.
selby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Qobuz

Unread post by selby »

Thanks to Shevans, I'm taking a serious look at Quboz both for their higher quality streaming service and also there CD/Studio Master downloads.

When it comes to downloads the file type seems to be FLAC, however iTunes doesn't play FLAC so I'm not sure what the best method is for downloading and playing these files.

I was looking at Audirvana as well to add to iTunes as it seems to get great reviews when it comes to playback quality.

Going forward I'm looking at Bluesound (Shevans again) now instead of Sonos, but again if I'm going to rip and digitise my CD collection would FLAC be best or Apple Lossless?

The grand plan is that I use Qobuz for general streaming, finding new music, then downloading Albums I really like in the best quality available. Then having some kind of Network Access Storage to hold 200 ripped CDs and any new music I download. Then to be able to play it either direct via my Mac or via Bluesound App...

Anyone got any knowledge on this subject or what's the best option file type wise?
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Shevans
Great Britain

Re: Qobuz

Unread post by Shevans »

Just typed a long reply and Safari on the iPad crashed :mad:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

There are FLAC players which work under OSX - Audivarna Plus (http://audirvana.com/?page_id=112) - free 15 day trial and jRiver for Mac (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=31.0) - 30 day trial I think. There is a charge for both but as far as I am concerned I'd pay almost anything to get away from iTunes but then I'm not an Apple fanboi.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

A shorter version than what I lost earlier...

I use both ALAC and FLAC but never use a Mac to playback music.

All my CD's are in ALAC and as you found all my hi-res music has only ever been in FLAC format. I convert the FLAC music to ALAC and down sample (as required) using XLD, this way I can play the music on any Apple device as we have iPads / Apple TV.

I run three music directories: an ALAC one for the CD rips, one for FLAC files and another for converted FLAC to ALAC files. This way I can at least listen to my music on any device but also by managing the "device" not have duplicated music.

At the moment I use just a Sonos and this points at both ALAC directories, previously I used the Simple Audio Roomplayer and this pointed at the CD ALAC and FLAC directory and this worked very well.

I just wish iTunes supported FLAC files as I would use FLAC only and Sonos made a hires player.

Now that Qobuz and at some point WiMP have arrived with CD quality I am hoping that in the future I will not need to hold much music locally. Actually I think these services will help me become less dependant on Apple, which is a good thing.

Keithh
Wales

Unread post by Keithh »

I use a vortexbox server through a Squeezebox Touch playing Flac files. I don't have a lot of experience of other digital sources but the step up from an old NAD CD player was significant. So now I still buy CDs but the Vortexbox will automatically rip and store them, it also mirrors them as MP3 for the car etc. The Vortexbox itself is about the size of one of the Doc's P50 and runs without a fan so is silent
Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable. - Samuel Johnson
In == Vortexbox + Raspberry Pi + BOSS DAC/ Goldring 1042 + SL-1210MK2 + Phono 1
Shaking it all about == P50SA + SP + A80s
Out == LS6 biwire + B&W 602 S3
Bubbling under == BMU

selby

Unread post by selby »

My concern is if I download FLAC files and want to keep them in highest quality possible what software do I use for cataloging and finding.

Audivarna looks like its a plugin to iTunes so I wasn't sure that would work when in come to playing FLAC. Also the real issue is only when playing from the laptop as ill use Bluesound on the iPad and iPhone to play FLAC from a NAS.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

My Business

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

Have a look at this thread iTunes alternatives

Sorry should have said, I think Audirvana will do what you want, there is a free trial so once you have a few hires FLAC files give it a whirl. Luckily for me my Mac Mini Server is in the outhouse (read coal house) and its the last place I want music to be played.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Back to the topic of the thread. This looks like an interesting service (when (if) it is fully operational). I had a quick go at streaming yesterday and - although on a very limited sample of media - I thought that what I was hearing sounded better than Spotify Premium at a similar price. The download site went down for maintenance as I was browsing but the choice of material looked good, the sample download I managed to get sounded good.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one. It looks like it may be a good source of music.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

selby

Unread post by selby »

I've been listening the their FLAC files in both streaming and downloaded mode, they completely smash Rdio and Spotify in terms of sound quality.

Going to purchase Agnes Obel album in the Studio Master edition and compare to the standard download and the CD...I'll report back shortly.

Looking into NAS storage and it seems Synology is the brand to go for, however calculating the amount of storage I'll need is more of a challenge. Is anyone ripping Bluray discs to a NAS? If so how are you playing them and are you managing to keep the quality up including the sound (7.1 etc)?

My Business

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

selby wrote:Going to purchase Agnes Obel album in the Studio Master edition and compare to the standard download and the CD...I'll report back shortly.
Would like to know what bitrate studio master you buy as I have read that beyond 24/96 no one has been able hear the difference, not saying that there is not one just unable to hear it on the quipment or ears.