Pinky's Funky Rambling's....!!!

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Oldpinkman
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pinky's Funky Rambling's....!!!

Unread post by Oldpinkman »

Hmm. If its good out of the box, it can be the keeper. Otherwise, I may just be tempted by the Dynavector. Early days, but...
On one of my AOS early rambles, I talked about "satisficing" rather than "optimising" - a term I learned in systems theory at Uni. Essentially the idea being that in real life the name of the game is not to endlessly strive for an optimal solution, because there are too many variables to ever reach a solution. The real world method is to find a solution which is "good enough"

That cartridge, in my system, as it is today, may well be "good enough". Not the best soup recipe ever (Slinger). Just good enough. Hang up yer boots, stop pissing about - listen to the music. Others may be better, but right here, right now, this combo is very nice. Just touching the spot perfectly. However, having shelled out a princely £80 for the MC25FL I might as well plug it in and give it a listen when it gets here.

Can somebody remind me what the usual criticism of the Dynavector XX2MkII is. I think it was "dark". If so, a bit of "dark" was just what my "light" PT/FXR needed.

Dear Santa... :guiness;
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Open minded, but always right

Oldpinkman

Very funny

I refer you back to my post on page 24 of May 28th (are there no numbers on HFS posts?). Sue has just returned with some cushions from Dunelm Mill - to try as "swatches" rather than bring curtains back. We had 15 mins before her hairdresser arrives. I dutifully looked and chose. Green and pink with cream (far better than it sounds). The Pink walls, which were better than yellow, (as defined), are saved.

So quid pro quo (sorry Macca) I said - have a 5 minute listen to Arthurs virgin. Her usual track - KM "Down and out". No comment. Very odd. Normally there is some piercingly appropriate observation forthcoming. This time I had to fish for it.

Verbatim

"Why are you buying new speakers?"

How much is it?" (reply £1000)

"We can't afford that much - you said you wouldn't spend any more on HiFi right now. I'd buy it if I were you. I've never heard it sound that good"

In true Forum shorthand

x2! :grin:
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The last time I heard an XX2 was in an ARO on a fully Armageddon? tricked out brand new LP12 around eleven or so years ago. I thought it sounded bloody lovely and nothing 'dark' about the sound at all. The DV20 series are the beefy, thumpy ones IMO (but then, I like the 17D series which others find too thin toned). The XX2 seemed to be just right in the deck it was fitted to..
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Oldpinkman

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:The last time I heard an XX2 was in an ARO on a fully Armageddon? tricked out brand new LP12 around eleven or so years ago. I thought it sounded bloody lovely and nothing 'dark' about the sound at all. The DV20 series are the beefy, thumpy ones IMO (but then, I like the 17D series which others find too thin toned). The XX2 seemed to be just right in the deck it was fitted to..
I'm lovin' it. It is JUST what I was looking for. Mind - its now got 7 hours on it, so presumably isnt run in. I just hope it doesn't "run out", cos I like it just the way it is. It can bloody track too. I used to get so pissed off with expensive MC's which couldn't track for toffee (yes Koetsu - I'm thinking of you - and Linn). Clearly things have moved on a bit since I were a lad. :guiness;

Oldpinkman

Struggling with sunstroke this evening so can't be arsed to read eotw. Fun weekend though. Will come back and ramble with a vengeance tomorrow :mrgreen: (my current complexion)

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Are you abroad, Pinky? I don't think I've seen the sun for more than ten consecutive minutes this Summer.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Andrew wrote:Are you abroad, Pinky? I don't think I've seen the sun for more than ten consecutive minutes this Summer.
It's been bloody baking here, horrible! :evil:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

What can I say. It really must be grim up North. Another grey day here. One of the very few dry days in June though.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

No wonder you want to move, it has been a hot glorious day in London, just been for a walk in the forest, booootifull :mrgreen:

Oldpinkman

I was in Ipswich. Lunch Al fresco at the marina. Yes really - Ipswich has a marina - a really classy one. Glorious weather all weekend. The price of being follically challenged :cry: