SPECIAL OFFER

All things NVA
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: SPECIAL OFFER

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I could build you one but I just wonder why you want it. I stopped making it for reasons. It doesn't have big enough heatsink and there is no room to fit a bigger one. The case is just too crowded with a pre in the box as well, it is a PITA to build. The way it is built is far more suited to a power amp. BUT mostly because of case size limitations that transformers aren't as big as in the A80's so it doesn't sound like an integrated A80, PLUS I upped the VA on the AP50 so it is nearer the 70 and 80 and that is now a bargain as is. I would be willing to build you a AP70 but not an AP80. But i am afraid no half price bargains :(

schwantz34
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by schwantz34 »

hi doc, how much watt the old ap70 (the one in the wood-plastic box) had ?
tnx
cheers
s

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

As the number says, nominally 70.

Shuggie

Unread post by Shuggie »

Regarding the AP10H offer, the eBay listing asks buyers to confirm the headphone tupe on purchase. I curently use some AKGs which are 32 ohms, but at some point I hope to end up with some 600 ohm Beyers. Is the AP10H optimised when built for a particular impedance, or will it just laugh in the face of this sort of load variation?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It is fine as standard for both of those. It is only an extreme load that will require a different set up.

Shuggie

Unread post by Shuggie »

Thank you - I've just pressed the 'Buy' button.

kazam

Unread post by kazam »

Mine arrived a couple of days ago and its a true thing of wonder. NVA strengths in terms of information retrieval, dynamics and neutrality would appear all present and correct. Seemingly having no issues driving my PMCs to an engaging level and takes headphone listening well beyond what I had previously experienced. Hope other new owners are equally pleased :guiness;
Last edited by kazam on Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dingsking

Unread post by Dingsking »

Mine arrived on Wednesday, a week ahead of schedule. Thank you Richard. Only tried it as a headphone amp which is my principle need and have to say the sound is fantastic through my Sennheiser 650's. Absolute silent background and otherwise a very balanced sound. I love it and at the promotion price, an absolute bargain. The speaker outlets are for me a simple add on bonus. At home I will probably never use them but being the small unit it is, if I want music on holiday etc, I can use this amp with transportable speakers and a equally transportable source. Just need to get the correct cables first.

Anyway, absolutely loving it. Well done Doc!

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Dingsking wrote:Mine arrived on Wednesday, a week ahead of schedule. Thank you Richard. Only tried it as a headphone amp which is my principle need and have to say the sound is fantastic through my Sennheiser 650's. Absolute silent background and otherwise a very balanced sound. I love it and at the promotion price, an absolute bargain. The speaker outlets are for me a simple add on bonus. At home I will probably never use them but being the small unit it is, if I want music on holiday etc, I can use this amp with transportable speakers and a equally transportable source. Just need to get the correct cables first.

Anyway, absolutely loving it. Well done Doc!

I have to ask what amps you 'usually' use? :)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dingsking

Unread post by Dingsking »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:I have to ask what amps you 'usually' use? :)
Oh dear, time to fess up. I'm a valve fan. A while back I built a clone of the original Circa 1995 'World Audio Design' 300B push pull power amp and continue to use it with total enjoyment. I incorporated boutique components based on my previous building and upgrade experiences. I also have a WAD 2A3 PSE which has also had the upgrade treatment albeit it is currently out of use as I am rebuilding the power supply into a separate chassis so I can incorporate better O/P transformers and individual DC balanced heater modules for the 2A3's and the input stage 6SN7's.

Pre amp section is a modified WAD Phono 2 into a WAD Pre 2 which has been converted to a valve cathode follower circuit. I have to admit, (the Doc won't like this) I've been experimenting with a Stereo Coffee LDR volume control for the Pre, but to date have not yet got this working properly. Ground loop hum is my enemy. The power amp uses high capacitance TNT Audio 'Twisted Twin' CAT 5 speaker cables (which I will never use with the NVA) feeding WAD KLS3 three way Audax driver speakers.

All stuff very foreign to the NVA approach, but for me it works. However, I went for the NVA offer on the AP10H because of it's very good value and my previous good experience with an NVA Phono 1. Furthermore, despite all the crap the Doc has to deal with from the industry and forums, he retains a 100% positive feedback for all his eBay sales which is remarkable and indicates the true value of his Mark. As much as I like my valve system, I remain open minded about moving across to solid state and for me, affordability is the biggest issue. I like and want high end sound but can't afford to buy it over the counter. That led me into DIY through which I later realised that using different components, it allowed me as the the builder to tune my system to meet my personal taste in sound reproduction. For me it is sad that the Doc no longer offers his products in kit form but I do understand the reasons for that.

One other point. I am a member of Forums Audio-Talk, World Designs, TAS and have been perminantly banned twice from AOS because I have been willing to challenge Marco over much of his crass and rubbish attitudes. I also lurk on PFM and Wigwam through links posted here. As much as I appreciate that members here take the piss out of contributors on these other forums, I understand why that happens and the reasons behind it. In my mind there is no doubt that HFS is a forum for realists interested in getting the best music reproduction from their systems, and without doubt, the Doc has always done his best to make that very affordable for the average punter. I like that a lot.

There you go. You've got me exposed into the open. Tin hat is on just in case :grin:

Greg