Psycho Acooustic Effects

All general audio posts go here.
Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Psycho Acooustic Effects

Unread post by Andrew »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Music is audible Qi (chi) if you let it connect to your energetic system it becomes you.

A musician is giving you his life energy (Qi) and you connect to it.
Doc, have you any recommendations on where to even begin learning such things? I've tried a couple of books on the Tao but I just don't seem to have found anything that makes a recognisable "whole" yet. The closest I've come is the work of Wayne Dyer, which draws from the wisdom but doesn't solely seek to teach it.

Zebbo: FWIW I always had better times with kit that spoke on an emotional level. Oddly, it was often perceptibly inferior sonically, especially in terms of space and sometimes clarity. There have been notable exceptions of which NVA is the foremost. It did the lot for me.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Andrew wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Music is audible Qi (chi) if you let it connect to your energetic system it becomes you.

Doc, have you any recommendations on where to even begin learning such things? I've tried a couple of books on the Tao but I just don't seem to have found anything that makes a recognisable "whole" yet. The closest I've come is the work of Wayne Dyer, which draws from the wisdom but doesn't solely seek to teach it.

Zebbo: FWIW I always had better times with kit that spoke on an emotional level. Oddly, it was often perceptibly inferior sonically, especially in terms of space and sometimes clarity. There have been notable exceptions of which NVA is the foremost. It did the lot for me.
Spot-on!
Even when I thought I was content with my set-up I would still find myself trawling through the hi-fi classifieds for bargains but that just doesn't seem to happen anymore, (although I'm still tempted with upgrades within NVA). 8-)
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Andrew wrote:

You have PM.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Cheers, Doc. I feel like I've gone from wanting more knowledge and understanding to needing it :grin:

Much appreciated.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

zebbo wrote:Hmm, strange you should say that as I have always gone for equipment that best hit the spot emotionally. I've listened to systems that seem to sound stunning, great dynamics, good bass, great soundstage, etc, etc but have left me cold. I think it's why I have difficulty making accurate descriptions about the sound of my system as it's not so much about how it sounds as much as how it feels. I rarely have music just playing in the background, I often prefer silence but I go to the hi-fi when I want, (need?), an emotional "hit". :)
It is not just emotion, both the mind and the body are equally powerful, but it varies during your life. Body energy is primary in yoof (li) mental energy is primary in the middle of life (Yi) and emotional energy is primary in later life (Qi). But all three are present in all of us, which is why music stimulates dance, stimulates thought and stimulates feelings. I think Andrew is unbalanced to an excess of Yi energy. The meaning of Tao is the way to balance like a three legged stool we need balance or we are unstable and might fall over.

I wrote this about 15 years ago.

CHI KUNG (Qigong)

Meditation and exercises based on the principles and concepts of this ancient Chinese art, some aspects of which go back over 3000 years, for developing internal energy or Chi (Qi), for healing and health. It is based on meditation techniques and relaxed exercises.

Looking at the world's healing arts and techniques you see a basic split between the emphasis of the prevailing philosophies, Western curative and Eastern preventative. Both have their place and both are equally important.

Energetics falls into both camps but is primarily preventative. To take the holistic or body, mind and soul approach, you have three distinct personas that make up you as an entity.

You have a physical being, the one that you see in the mirror everyday, it is a biological organic machine that can break down and will wear out, being organic it is also subject to other biological machines hijacking it for their own purposes (fungi, bacteria and viruses).

You are also a reasoning and calculating being, this is the person doing the observing of you in the mirror. It is a biological organic computer that as with the modern electronic version can be subject to overload, information loss, or when the program gets corrupted, crashing.

Within these two physical personas is the energetic persona that makes it all work, and also provides the emotional aspects to your life. From the spark of life given to you at conception this energy is the means by which everything “works”, your energetic being. In Chinese. It is referred to as Chi (Qi), in Japanese Ki and in India Prana. It can manifest itself in many different ways that western science is only just beginning to understand.

Each organ and bodily function has its own energy dedicated to its correct function, dictated by your genetic programming and controlled by your unconscious mind. This energy causes the growth, sustaining, and ultimately the decline of our physical and mental being. The purist form of this energy is given to us at conception and is referred to in some cultures as soul or spirit, it is the last energy to leave the machine when the lights finally go out. All the other energy we use and retain throughout our lives comes from the food we consume and the air that we breath, and the quality of this fuel is important for the quality of the resulting energy.

Energetics is the process of creating a “battery” within the body in which we can store spare or free energy, it also provides techniques for generating and directing that spare energy. In eastern philosophies there are many of these areas or centres in the body, in the sub-continent they are referred to as Chakras, in Chinese culture as Dan-tien. These areas are designated separately for physical, emotional or mental energies.

In energetics we initially concentrate on the physical or growing and healing energy, which we train you to develop and concentrate at your physical centre (centre of gravity and mass) inside the belly between the kidneys, these reserves of energy help you fight off common ailments and help to forestall the onset of more serious complaints. We then train you to be able to move this energy with your mind for correcting structural weaknesses, repairing damage or to regenerate wear. This is done by training the conscious mind to direct or move that energy by using our will or intent.

It comes from my website http://www.art-of-energetics.com/

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Wise words from the Master.

I took singing lessons for several years and it became a very therapeutic process, as your whole body is involved in making sound. It is also very confrontational as singing involves a deep journey into one's own emotions.

If the energy of the emotional intention of the performer is contained within a recorded signal, then it would be a logical assumption that equipment that reproduces that with the minimum of ' interference' should also transmit the emotional component more tangibly to the listener.

Is this what you mean by the transmission of Qi?

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Fascinating stuff. I don't think you'd have any chance of a discussion like this on the other forums. Can you imagine the topic on PFM? I somehow couldn't see it lasting past the first page without the usual trolls. Maybe the member who took such a dim view of us will see it and perhaps think again.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Qi is not a physical thing, it cannot be measured there is no *energy* in scientific terms. It is a connection. In extreme terms things like the Star Wars "Force" and Avatars links are some people ways of trying to illustrate it. there are also things in our language that seem to be ways of expressing these connections, mostly from hippy talk. Like being turned on, or being tuned into someone, or getting the vibes, as hippy dope does open perception.

The problem is we are all too self infatuated, and we are far too noisy within ourselves, we create so much noise we can no longer hear. The mind wont shut up, the body keeps twitching, the emotional responses are uncontrolled. All you need to do is shut up and then you start to hear, and i don't just mean music, I mean other people, I mean nature. Every thing is trying to communicate but we are so LOUD we don't hear it. Learn to be still, learn to make your mind and body and spirit your tools your assets your weapons even in martial art terms, control them don't let them control you - that is the basis of this work.

I have some funny videos of martial art work where you link into your student / opponent and they do what you are "telling them to do with Qi", your energy makes them throw themselves, their mind makes them think they are stuck to the ground. Muccus loved them, he called them two fat men dancing :mrgreen: these are training techniques to make students feel and be aware of the energy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PF50Nhpo-0

The fat old bald git is me and Paul is a 6th dan black belt karateka (Shotokan Karate) who has competed for England in international competition, He came to me specifically for this training. There are more of these clips and they were made about 12 years ago to illustrate Qi awareness training in the Chinese martial arts.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

This is my master Tian Yin Jia who lived in Shanghai, filmed when I brought him here for a visit. What you are seeing is something that has never been seen on video and never will be again as this form died with him. It is the opening four moves of the Yang family small frame form that was only taught to family members, and his father was adopted son of the Yang family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQeXthRy1rw

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Thankyou for sharing this. (Deep bow)
Last edited by Fretless on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450