BMU considerations

All things NVA
Quarknosis

BMU considerations

Unread post by Quarknosis »

Doc, I'm considering buying a BMU but I am having a problem finding somewhere practical to place it. It might have to go onto the same rack as the rest of my equipment but I don't want it to cause anything else to hum if the transformer is too close. Is there a minimum distance that it needs to be from the rest of the system and is it better below or to the side.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: BMU considerations

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It should not go in a rack and is probably too heavy. It should be on the floor well away from other gear.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Is it possible to run a mains block on an extension lead from a BMU ? Or would that defeat the purpose ?

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I do it, and I think most users do it. No problem.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I do both with mine. It's in a cupboard at my workstation (posh word for converted computer desk) and sits on its side within, out of the way. The important bits are plugged directly into it and one of the sockets feeds a distribution block...

I really don't believe in blocks and plugs costing hundreds of quid unless you have a silly-money system and need the cachet of such devices to complete the status symbol of this kind of stereo set - hell I reckon most of them make everything so much larger than life they're not really High Fidelity systems... The sound I'm getting from my workroom system is stunningly involving to me - and I'm doing almost everything wrong!!!

I'm a bit angry today, so apologies for venting...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Quarknosis

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:It should not go in a rack and is probably too heavy. It should be on the floor well away from other gear.
Wow, what does it weigh? I would have hoped my rack made from 1.5 inch walnut might hold it.

Dave's suggestion of standing it on its side might be a possibility if I move the rack away from the side wall a little bit 300 x 350 x130 mm dimensions from my research so I reckon about 180mm space needed to allow for the possibility of un/plugging.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Twenty odd kilos, it is also too big for most racks, and for hum fields it is the LAST place you should put it.

I HATE RACKS :x :x :x

Quarknosis

It's not a rack in the traditional hi-fi, steel tubing, sense, I just find it easier to call it a rack. It is a modified TV stand with very little metal in it at all, just the shelf supports. It's about 90 cm wide internally and about 50cm tall. That would mean the BMU would still only be about a foot away even if it could go on the bottom shelf so probably still no good.

The only other option would be to place the BMU in the hallway and pass the cables through the wall but I don't think I'd be able to get away with that and be able to maintain domestic harmony, especially after the face I got when telling my wife what the windfall that I got at the weekend was going to be spent on :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Why not put it on the floor next to the wall and the mains socket.

Quarknosis

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Why not put it on the floor next to the wall and the mains socket.
Because the mains socket sits is behind the rack.

Unfortunately the room layout means that there isn't enough floorspace at any point along that wall to place anything else. The wall beside the system might be a possibility but I would need to allow space for the drawers containing CDs to open and also be able to have something in place to stop the door banging into the BMU when opened, a small table standing over it might be suitable. Either that or I get something new to stand the system on. The longish, narrow rooms in this house have has always been a problem to arrange furniture in, we have even had to make some rooms smaller in order to make them less like corridors.

Anyway, at least I've got a new option to consider :-?