Computer Audio. Wish There Was a Bullet Proof Blue Print

All general audio posts go here.
Neonknight

Computer Audio. Wish There Was a Bullet Proof Blue Print

Unread post by Neonknight »

If I could find a way to do computer audio that's on par with my transport I would do it in a heart beat. I currently use an Audio Magic DAC that does not have native USB input. But the darn thing is a mighty fine DAC and I have no interest in moving it on. So I did order a SMSL USB/SPDIF converter. Computer folks say USB/SPDIF conversion is a straight forward process. Well it may be, but something is lost in the transition. I use EAC to rip CD's to a Dell D530, and HySolid as my playback/organization software. Latest research I show is that HySolid has better SQ than JRiver, and ITunes. Some feel Bug Head is better, but its a clumsy interface

Getting to computer audio means I can box discs up, get rid of the cheap CD rack I have, and at the very least improve the aesthetics of my room. I then can move my record storage into the same place the CD's were, and move my equipment rack down some. When doing that I would buy a different storage rack for my gear, but don't want to do that till I have a permanent place for it. I could tidy things up quite nicely if I could figure this computer audio set up out.

Some folks on Head HiFi are talking about outboard USB conversion as being superior to what is being used as onboard solutions to some upper tier DAC's. Have heard some solid talk about the Singxer SU1. Others are discussing using a Ethernet conversion device mid stream to deal with noise issues. PS Audio makes a device called the LANRover, and others have repurposed the Ethernet extender from StarTech. It's hard to nail down what an acceptable solution is. You would think it would be easier than this. I have a decent amount of cash set aside in my audio kitty to do this, but would prefer not to chase Will O Wisps.

Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Computer Audio. Wish There Was a Bullet Proof Blue Print

Unread post by Fretless »

There are many approaches you could try; Roon software, for instance, which turns a PC into a dedicated music playe. Or going the network streamer route, where even the humble Raspberry Pi fitted with one of the several audiophile Output boards will rival the best CD transports.

Putting your music files on a NAS also means you can access them from different rooms, I have filled the house with Pi and Sonos players and can also access the music via any computer on the LAN.

Another tip if you are using USB, is to plug an Audioquest Jitterbug into the signal chain. Works wonders. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

What is the OP's budget for this? Pointless discussing any of the multitude of options without having an idea of budget.

Neonknight

George Hincapie wrote:What is the OP's budget for this? Pointless discussing any of the multitude of options without having an idea of budget.
I could go $2 to $3K but prefer to be under $1K with a solution that retains my current DAC.

George Hincapie

There are several options, but in terms of strict focus on USB/SPDIF conversion then this is a very well regarded USB/SPDIF bridge that features much technology to deal with jitter etc: https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/melodious ... rface.html

It is affordable and would be a good place to start IMHO.

Neonknight

George Hincapie wrote:There are several options, but in terms of strict focus on USB/SPDIF conversion then this is a very well regarded USB/SPDIF bridge that features much technology to deal with jitter etc: https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/melodious ... rface.html

It is affordable and would be a good place to start IMHO.
Its worth looking into. On Head HiFi the Singxer SU1 seems to be a front leader for a ready to go solution.

https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/singxer-s ... 6-dop.html

Another option, if I have to go this route is a Wyrd For Sound DAC. This one looks interesting.

https://wyred4sound.com/products/digita ... -v2-series

George Hincapie

The W4S is a good (technology) choice and one I have considered before. It has much of their anti-jitter technology built in.

The SU1 is twice the price. Is it twice as good? I dunno :mrgreen:

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

I still use my SB Touch into a DAC and its as good as anything I have heard. But the touch is hard to come by now, so I would try a Pi + RPI HB DIGI+.

Neonknight

Lurcher300b wrote:I still use my SB Touch into a DAC and its as good as anything I have heard. But the touch is hard to come by now, so I would try a Pi + RPI HB DIGI+.
The time I did have computer audio working well, it was with a Squeezebox that had been hot rodded by The Bolder Cable Company. Kind of an expensive piece, but sounded good. But when I bought my used EAD T1000 transport for $300 off of Audiogon, and it was its equal, it did not make sense to keep it. Or so I thought at the time. So I sold it and spent the proceeds on a turntable and used the EAD quite contently.

I could source another SB product, I know where a Touch is with Bolder upgrades. But these days I wonder about the functionality of the device As I understand it the Squeezenetwork software has been orphaned, as Logitech has abandoned the SB product line. But I think there was supposed to be some fellows who were going to continue developing some open source support for it. The display is kind of archaic now compared to software available for a smart phone or tablet. But its still a solution that is viable if the software is being supported.

Neonknight

George Hincapie wrote:The W4S is a good (technology) choice and one I have considered before. It has much of their anti-jitter technology built in.

The SU1 is twice the price. Is it twice as good? I dunno :mrgreen:
Thanks for the response, I waffle around on this subject quite terribly. Was listening to some discs last night, and really can't fault my DAC for anything but being co-ax digital in. Otherwise it is a fine sounding machine. Have you used the Melodious, or known folks who have done so? Could you share the back story or your info on what makes this piece a solid choice? Just trying to make an informed decision.

Actually W4S has a sale on the DAC2 DSD for $1099, which seems quite reasonable. But if its not the equal of my current DAC on redbook, then its of little value to me, and I personally think the Kukama is one of the better redbook DACs I have ever encountered.

Thanks for any insights you can pass on.

So regarding the