Allison Six refurb

A place for DIY project discussions.
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Re: Allison Six refurb

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Handsome ! 8-)
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

SteveTheShadow wrote:Handsome ! 8-)
Sure is, but I would have rotated those tweeter screws to the 3, 6, 9, 12 position. ;) :lol:

kazam

Unread post by kazam »

Ta muchly!

Jammy, it just goes to show that your DIY skills extend beyond mine! I went for the easiest option. Even then i didn't quite get it right. Lesson hopefully learnt for next time..

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

kazam wrote:Ta muchly!

Jammy, it just goes to show that your DIY skills extend beyond mine! I went for the easiest option. Even then i didn't quite get it right. Lesson hopefully learnt for next time..
Only pulling yer leg Kaz - Looks spot on to me.
And I can assure you my DIY skills are pretty much non existent.
Enjoy em.... :clap: :guiness;

kazam

Unread post by kazam »

Lazmo wrote:Very Intresting thread Doc + kazam ! I own a pair of Allison six's myself and am completely happy with them (for now until a upgrade bug begins to itch) the fact the drivers are changeable with doc mod drivers is good to know what i would like to know is did you have them up and running in the original form before the mods to gauge a then and now experience of the speakers ?
Lazmo, sorry for missing this. No, I haven't heard them in original state unfortunately. Of the four drivers, only one tweeter was in a fully working state. The mid/bass drivers have thirty five years worth of dust covering them, but i think they could potentially be salvageable with a re-foam. If you'd like them all as spares, you can have them for the cost of postage. Feel free to PM if you're interested.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

They look excellant kazjam.

As the first person to put doc drivers in none cube speakers i am very pleased other people are finding out how good they are.

Stops me thinking i am delusionsal idiot.

brit-pop

Unread post by brit-pop »

Daniel Quinn wrote:They look excellant kazjam.

As the first person to put doc drivers in none cube speakers i am very pleased other people are finding out how good they are.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You could have mice living in that and you wouldn't know :shifty:

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

kazam wrote:Lazmo, sorry for missing this. No, I haven't heard them in original state unfortunately. Of the four drivers, only one tweeter was in a fully working state. The mid/bass drivers have thirty five years worth of dust covering them, but i think they could potentially be salvageable with a re-foam. If you'd like them all as spares, you can have them for the cost of postage. Feel free to PM if you're interested.
No worries Kazam ! You have done a wonderful job with them i hope you enjoy yours as much as i have been enjoying mine over the last few years but after removing the wadding as suggested by Doc and Alfi i have had a little session last evening and after a little reposition of the speakers i am getting a much more warmer and more focused vocal presentation now i thought i had lost a little body from the sound but the reposition solved that so i am now left thinking what other improvements are to be had from these little gems ?

i have refoamed the original bass drivers and given the cabinets a very light stain to bring them back to colour matched originals so they look very smart almost new i will pm you about the drivers you have thanks that is a very kind offer :grin:
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

brit-pop wrote:
Daniel Quinn wrote:They look excellant kazjam.

Alas that beared looks shite and anyway I assumed you were bald ;)