Grado SR225e - 'Enhanced'

All general audio posts go here.
fisherman
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Grado SR225e - 'Enhanced'

Unread post by fisherman »

My advice from experience is the Cush pads do make a difference to the sr80 but u must buy the real grado ones I have tried a couple of Chinese knockoffs and they are awfull
The 225 is a different matter altogether a quantum leap over the80
An absolute bargain like nva upgrade more of everything and plus so easy to listen to for long periods

vincula2008

Unread post by vincula2008 »

That's why I decided to buy the Grado stuff at the dealer. There higher you go up the range the more refined the sound becomes. That's true. The SR80 are still a bit rough, though I prefer that dynamic Grado sound over AKG, Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser, only to name a couple of brands the dealer has in stock. I know it's a huge generalization, but they put me to sleep. Way too analytical for listening to music. Maybe great for mixing, but not my cuppatea. I have recently enjoyed a pair of HI Fi Man HE400. I've had 'em on loan for a month or so. Very good stuff, even if they were much fussier about amplification than the Grado's. Don't know if I'd buy them instead of a similarly priced Grado's though.

Regards,

Vincula

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

It's been a bit hit & miss with Grado's for me. Started with the SR80, an amazing headphone for it's price - true budget-audiophile clarity and dynamics, only bettered by fitting them with L-cushions. Then I had the beefy SR325i - which was too much of everything: too heavy, too uncomfortable, too piercing, too detailed, too tiring - although if you are looking for the ultimate in analytic insight into a recording then this IS the perfect phone for you.
For a while I have used the AKG K601 as my main headphone which is very relaxed and pleasant - but I missed the kick and vitality that is the Grado trademark. Basically I wanted something that combined the strengths of the K601 and SR80. Luckily I can report that the SR225e is exactly that.
The familiar lively Grado sound is taken into an area of depth and space. These things really 'breathe' and let the music flow without the slightest effort. Switching back to the SR80, it sounds flat and forced in comparison; the detail is all there but the 225e gives it more room and fills it out to put more solidity into the image. The top end is sweet and clear, bass is full, fast and well-extended. Soundstage could be wider - but it is better than the SR80.
Fortunately the 225e is also pretty comfortable and feels surprisingly lightweight, almost the same as the SR80, except the cable is now a very thick, solid 8-strand affair for improved signal transmission.
Grado have made a lot of subtle refinements to the construction of all their headphones with the current 'e' (enhanced) series, and the newer SR80e is probably streets ahead of its older counterpart. The SR225e reminds me strongly of their RS2 Reference Series model that I heard some years ago with its superbly spacious, refined and open character.
Is the SR225e worth twice the price of the SR80? - Oh, yes! And, for me, it is a far better headphone than the SR325. Now to start thinking about the RS1e. :dance:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Excellent write up, Fret.

I still have my SR80's. Bought them second hand in 2011. Still going strong!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

vincula2008

Unread post by vincula2008 »

Very nice review indeed. I must check those new SR 225e out then. Haven't heard any go of the "enhanced" series yet. Of course I'd love one of the RS series too, but I'd rather buy an NVA amp instead. I'm already putting some money away and selling off part of my gear. If everything goes down as expected, I'll take the plunge after summer break.

Regards,

Vincula

southall-1998
Wales

How are you getting on with your Grado SR225e, Fretless?

Was using my SR80's a few nights ago. They certainly still hold the beat very well. I do find them a tad piercing at times though!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Fretless
Netherlands

I am using the 225e's quite a lot and find them to be similar in comfort to the SR80, tiny bit heavier but not really noticeable.

Soundwise, now that they have broken in, the 225e is much smoother and rounder in tone at the top. The piercing 'Grado-ness' of the SR80 is transformed into accurate detail and a well-defined, wider soundstage. Midrange is pleasant and well-integrated. Bass is fuller and deeper too. It is a Grado that you can listen comfortably to for longer periods and really get 'into' the music.

Certainly, as an upgrade from the SR80, I can wholeheartedly recommend the SR225e which, I think, also represents excellent value for money. More than I can say for the SR325i that I had for a while and found overpoweringly bright, too detailed and very heavy & uncomfortable.

Hope that gives you an idea, Shane. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I bought a pair of Grado SR225es last year after auditioning them against several competitors at below and around the same price. To my ears they came out on top by some margin. An excellent very detailed sound playing Tidal Hi-Fi through my Chord Mojo. Do not find comfort to be a problem. For in home use only.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

southall-1998
Wales

Fretless wrote:I am using the 225e's quite a lot and find them to be similar in comfort to the SR80, tiny bit heavier but not really noticeable.

Soundwise, now that they have broken in, the 225e is much smoother and rounder in tone at the top. The piercing 'Grado-ness' of the SR80 is transformed into accurate detail and a well-defined, wider soundstage. Midrange is pleasant and well-integrated. Bass is fuller and deeper too. It is a Grado that you can listen comfortably to for longer periods and really get 'into' the music.

Certainly, as an upgrade from the SR80, I can wholeheartedly recommend the SR225e which, I think, also represents excellent value for money. More than I can say for the SR325i that I had for a while and found overpoweringly bright, too detailed and very heavy & uncomfortable.

Hope that gives you an idea, Shane. :grin:
Interesting. What headphone amp are you using?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Fretless
Netherlands

Either a Musical Fidelity XCanV3 or the headphone stage of my Hegel HD12 DAC.

Like all Grado's the 225 is very easily driven - also by portable players like the Fiio X3. But it is revealing of inferior sources and will, of course, perform better when solidly amped (get an AP10H). :music-listening:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl