AVI vs...? bake off anyone?

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: AVI vs...? bake off anyone?

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
_D_S_J_R_ wrote:DQ, you don't have CUBES and this is something I feel you should address after this load of dust has settled, so you can get an idea what 'we're' going on about, good and bad. We both know (now recently for me) the potential of the Doc-Mod ideas in a conventional forward-firing box, but it's when the bass-mid driver is turned vertically that things get interesting..
So you STILL don't understand Cubes, FFS :roll: It is a disease always looking for excuses to go back to the old ways. Doc Mods are PART WAY to Cubes, they are not better they are worse. If you don't see that after all the listening and explaining I have done then I give up. I have explained room interface so many times there seem little point in doing it again. Did Roy Allison have these problems when he tried to explain it :roll:
I was trying to suggest that DQ tries the Cubes as he's only heard his own Doc-Mod speakers which are larger versions of what I'm using currently.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

darius-lpv
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by darius-lpv »

so what's worse? cube 2 or doc-mods?

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

darius-lpv wrote:so what's worse? cube 2 or doc-mods?
So what's better? Cube 2 or Doc-mods?

Now that would have been politer. :naughty:

darius-lpv

Unread post by darius-lpv »

and you dare to say "polite"???? you called me fukwit in another post.. you people
have no shame !!!!

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

_D_S_J_R wrote:I was trying to suggest that DQ tries the Cubes as he's only heard his own Doc-Mod speakers which are larger versions of what I'm using currently.
You were suggesting more than that .

I am not averse to trying cubes , but there are a number of issues that make it lower down the priority than an NVA phono

only I listen to my music so I am not that arsed that conventional speakers create a hot spot to listen to .

I listen with the speakers on the edge of bay window , this according to the doc makes integrating the cubes difficult .

My speakers are now wall mounted and thus in a fixed postion , this fixed position may not suit the cubes in my room.

and finally , I am perfectly happy with the sound of my hifi , it wouldn't be arsed if it never changed again .My desire for a nva phono is largely consequent to my faith in the doc and desire to see how it could actually be better .

Frasernash

Unread post by Frasernash »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Well said Darius :clap:
You could of course write it in Polish and expect everyone to translate :lol:

Lets get this conversation back to balance. You no like, others like, so feckin' what :whistle:

For me I have a simple train of events now which is *my* process. Does it all work properly, if it does can Neil set it up so it doesn't do what you heard, or will he confirm your findings. How the conversation goes after that we will see.
Agreed well said

joe

Unread post by joe »

Daniel Quinn wrote:You sir are a ***** !!!!)
Good to see the old 'no ad hom' rule being adhered to.

Admin Edit - it has been modded.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

darius-lpv wrote:fair enough Lindsay... you have your impressions and I have mine and I guess both are valid
on a realism note, do u remember when I've said: 'violin can sound incredibly smooth' and you've added something like: but sharp as well. It is unconfirmed by myself how good EVs are in reproduction of smooth sound of violin. not enough time or perhaps we choose to play the sound of a real instruments too late and not long enough..
I'd like to go back home rather than concert hall.. how many times I'd listen back home at a concert volume levels? very, very rare..
Yes, it is entirely fair enough if you prefer the AVI presentation over the EV one. I can't argue with that.

Would you say that in your opinion with your tastes that you think that the AVI's sounded overall better (as in more realistic), about equally good, or worse than the EV's?

And would you also say that for someone who craves dynamics, zip, life, bounce, sparkle, an attention grabbing sound - that the EV's would sound better to them, about the same or worse than the AVI's?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Well said Darius :clap:

You could of course write it in Polish and expect everyone to translate :lol:

Lets get this conversation back to balance. You no like, others like, so feckin' what :whistle:

For me I have a simple train of events now which is *my* process. Does it all work properly, if it does can Neil set it up so it doesn't do what you heard, or will he confirm your findings. How the conversation goes after that we will see.
OK the conversation carries on.

Sadly it looks like Darius has flounced off as he left the forum and hasn't been back since his last post.

What we have now is a situation of totally opposite opinions on the same equipment by two different people. Now normally I accept "horses for courses" but they are SO wide apart something is going on. It will be nice to have either side have re-inforcement or justification in what they say and the future bake-off hopefully will give this.

I hate to think there is industry politics or just plain marketing lies behind this, but I have seen it so many times in this industry I cannot rule it out. Personally I am leaning on to the "I couldn't give a shit and didn't really want to do it in the first place" scenario. He is happy with his AVi, Lyndsay opened his ears and mind a little which he has now effectively backtracked from, so the pattern is there for all to see.

For me it serves a purpose even if it ends up to be thought of as having motivation, shall we say. As Jammy was saying it was getting embarrassing not to have a bad review in the review thread. Now I know there will never be many, as people are more motivated to write about like than dislike, unless there is a side motive. Anyway I have one now so no matter what the motives were I can stop thinking about it.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Well lets look through the round window.........

Darius is an AVI fanboy.
Darius is a long time (brainwashed) senior member of the AVI Forum.
Darius owns an AVI system.
Darius returns yer NVA kit with little regard to contents.
Darius is the only person (so far) to give a very damming review (1 out of 50).

Once again its obvious the Duckwit's set up would win, he was playing games.

:guiness;