Dipped my toe in the world of DAC’s and....

All general audio posts go here.
Copperblue

Dipped my toe in the world of DAC’s and....

Unread post by Copperblue »

.....it has been a revelation!

I started with an Audioquest Dragonfly Red and thought this was good but last year acquired an iFi Zen Dac with power supply and this has really convinced me of the merits of the DAC approach. I recycled an old laptop running Audirvana, an Audioquest jitter bug, QED usb cable, an old NVA AP35 amp with a pair of Sony SS86e speakers for an office system that sounds really good. This process has also led me to ditching Tidal and switching to Quboz, I just can’t get my head around the MQA sound and where that’s going.

Playing CD lossless rips and Quboz the laptop/Zen DAC combo sounds way better than my Auralic Ares mini in my main system....

So in terms of of other DACs to try next what should be the direction of travel? Budget to be less than £500 and I would definitely be in the camp of a more organic sound rather than forensic detail.
These users thanked the author Copperblue for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:42 am) • Fretless (Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:04 pm)
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Dipped my toe in the world of DAC’s and....

Unread post by CN211276 »

I also ditched Tidal for Qobuz because I think it sounds a bit better and MQA is too much smoke and mirrirs. I also subscribe to Tidal much of the time as they have so many low cost promotions. It fills in gaps in Qobuz. I cancel just before the first £19.99 payment is due.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Copperblue (Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:15 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Copperblue wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:30 am So in terms of of other DACs to try next what should be the direction of travel? Budget to be less than £500 and I would definitely be in the camp of a more organic sound rather than forensic detail.
Organic sound (for me) is better found in DACs with a NOS approach (non-oversampling). The incoming digital signal receives the minimum amount of messing about and the 'spirit' of the music is maintained - although possibly at the expense of extra detail.

Under 500 pounds, see if you can get hold of a TeraDak V4.5 Chameleon (AliExpress) or a Musical Fidelity M1DAC (2nd hand, Ebay). These will both sound very 'analogue', although the M1DAC might be a bit too polite. If your budget stretches to the Denafrips Ares II then get one!
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
Copperblue (Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:15 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Pottyp19
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Pottyp19 »

Bought an RME ADi-2 DAC last summer. Incredible step-up from the old Rega DAC I was using. Originally used with an old Rega Planet CD player, but recently bought the current audiolab transport, which again was a a very considerable step up in sound. Have ditched tidal/qobuz etc (all that money for no ownership??) and now buying second had CDs at an average price of £2-£3, and digitising them as I buy them. All this combined with Klipsch Heresy 3 speakers and NVA A60/P50.

All this currently making perfect sense to me. I love vinyl too but at £20 an LP not buying much anymore unless I see a bargain...
These users thanked the author Pottyp19 for the post (total 3):
karatestu (Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:40 pm) • slinger (Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:13 pm) • savvypaul (Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:18 pm)

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Pottyp19 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:33 pm Bought an RME ADi-2 DAC last summer. Incredible step-up from the old Rega DAC I was using. Originally used with an old Rega Planet CD player, but recently bought the current audiolab transport, which again was a a very considerable step up in sound. Have ditched tidal/qobuz etc (all that money for no ownership??) and now buying second had CDs at an average price of £2-£3, and digitising them as I buy them. All this combined with Klipsch Heresy 3 speakers and NVA A60/P50.

All this currently making perfect sense to me. I love vinyl too but at £20 an LP not buying much anymore unless I see a bargain...
Welcome to the dark side. :mrgreen:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X