The Humble 1210.

All general audio posts go here.
Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Humble 1210.

Unread post by Andrew »

Nothing wrong with the look of any of them.......unless you sit them next to something like this :D

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Andrew wrote:Nothing wrong with the look of any of them.......unless you sit them next to something like this :D

How I hate plywood plinths. They just look tacky to me. Trendy but so easily improved with a bit of high class veneer. Its so easy and cheap to produce a ply plinth that the cynic might suggest that the reason for using it is neither about sonic quality nor appearance.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I use a TT with a ply plinth, which I love the look of :D it's also the best sounding deck I've ever owned, so I guess it must do something good.......or perhaps that should be "do very little bad" sonically. I do love the look of the original Xerxes though, especially the exotic veneers. Still not as pretty as the Palmer IMO though :D

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

For all those people chasing the ultimate SL1210, there is another level. Might even be amazing enough to tempt Jammy to "upgrade" :lol:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Now you see, I don't think the Palmer looks right at all. Also, from an engineering perspective, why would you want to mount a very heavy platter so high up in the air? It doesn't make sense to me.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

zebbo wrote:Now you see, I don't think the Palmer looks right at all. Also, from an engineering perspective, why would you want to mount a very heavy platter so high up in the air? It doesn't make sense to me.
I think it is pig ugly and has no class. Essex bling. And I agree about layered plywood plinths, for me they always look unfinished.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Really surprised there's not more love for the looks of the Palmer decks. I still love the aesthetics of them, even if I'm a long way North of Essex :lol:

I guess it's what makes this so much fun. Seeing the variety of things people like both sonically and visually.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Essex bling is just a phrase, it is cheap looking flashiness but you find it everywhere. I think living in a caravan makes you like the worst of it.

I made some things Essex bling in the early 90's and I am still sort of ashamed of the cosmetics. It was supposed to be joke, a piss take of over the top hi-fi or USA bling which was starting to appear, anyway people liked it wanted to review it and bought it (mk1 Statement stuff) so I had to put up with it. I still think it is daft and over the top, I much prefer the new Statement amps.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Haha I loved those MK1 amps!

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Now this is bling!

Still, I guess it's nicer than the gem encrusted one. Y'know, I think Jammy's right after all. Original is best.