Upgrade routes

All things NVA
Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Upgrade routes

Unread post by Andrew »

Doc, I'm sorry if this has been covered before. I couldn't find anything so I figured I'd ask:

The current upgrade route from integrated to pre/power is via NVAs generous trade in. I was wondering if there was any mileage in offering preamp out sockets at an extra cost on any of the integrateds at the time of purchase? That would allow bi-amping more easily and enable more people to take this route. The lower powered amp circuit in the integrated could drive the tweeters and any power amp(s) purchased could take on the bass role. This would lower the "entry fee" for bi-amping and also reduce the box count too.

It would mean people could enjoy the benefits of multi amping beginning with an AP10 and A30. That's an incredible feat in terms of value. It wouldn't even mean another product because you could offer it in the same way that you offer volume control circuitry for power amps.

There may be many reasons I've not thought of which make the idea unworkable for you but I felt it worth an ask because I've heard what your amps can do in multi amp systems and I'd like to encourage more people to hear it too.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: Upgrade routes

Unread post by terrybooth »

Tried to think how this might be done, but it hurt my head.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Am I missing something? I thought it would be a very easy thing to do.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Yes, good idea. That's how I had my Densen stuff set up a few years back.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

We have done it before as a special, but I wouldn't make it a standard option as it complicates things too much. Pre outs can be added to any new integrated amp for extra £30.

VC is no longer available to power amps as it was only for mk1 amps as a way to make them compatible with active pre or computer audio feed. Mk2 design handles them as standard.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

That's a bloody good deal. Thirty quid is peanuts for the extra opportunity to add to your NVA setup without having to get rid of what you have.

It was Cagey's posts that set me thinking and made me ask. He wanted to try NVA without spending a lot to start with, yet seemed to be aiming ultimately for a pre/power.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Its two sockets and a bit of wire, I would be embarrassed to ask for more.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Well other manufactures would no doubt slap a couple hundred quid onto the asking price for this facility........ :naughty: :o :twisted:

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

The AP10P is best left alone IMO.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I'd have picked that one as my first choice, simply because I've been told tweeters don't benefit from current so much. As the AP10 has the same circuit as bigger NVAs, it makes a small, simple two box bi-amp solution with very low cost. £340 for a suitably equipped AP10 to get you started and another £340 to add an A30.

Having the option fitted would take nothing away from the A10p sonically, yet it would give the buyer so much more flexibility if they choose to upgrade. I love neat solutions which avoid large rack space and loads of cabling. As good as the NVA integrateds are, multi amping can be really special. Once heard never forgotten :grin: