Cables make a difference..... (made you look anyway)

All general audio posts go here.
Gmanuk101
Great Britain

Cables make a difference..... (made you look anyway)

Unread post by Gmanuk101 »

Been having some 'fun' discussing cables with some fellow....... waxy eared types.

I introduced NVA into the equation , blah blah blah.. "how much? I could make my own for less than £10"... ok, I don't bother replying as from the start this is a loaded reply (kind of like the arguments over Brexit that have no basis in reality).

The main point from me is, yes they do... and I stand by good quality metals, that's it.

So, this leads me to my most recent purchase... the TIS interconnect.

A little bit of a wait thanks to the silent majority...I digress....... Unpacked them and had a little chuckle to myself thinking "my poor P50's sockets....that's a thick cable!"...

Allowed me to place my monoBlocks properly and another chance to streamline the power cables and general fiddling.

Ok, so... music,.... 1st up from cold: Steven Wilson - The Raven Who etc... (I use Luminol as a "test track")...
1st impression... I need to bung my ports.... bloody hell that's a large yet smooth deep roll off......
2nd impression.... ports bunged....now that's impressive (bunged ports due to room, previously didn't have to with some SSP MKII)

so, on goes my favourite Bert Jansch Album (his 1st)...... turned to P50 upto 1pm..... outstanding.... I thought I had a different recording.. no seriously .. the depth!!

Very happy indeed.. no this isn't a review at all..it's a nod to say "Cables Make A Difference".

No, I propose to bring my SL1200-G and the TIS with an MCRU cable the nebo is it is so.

cheers
These users thanked the author Gmanuk101 for the post (total 2):
slinger (Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:47 pm) • antonio66 (Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:14 am)
Boxes That Make Things Louder: NVA BMU, M300 Monoblocks x 2, P50se passive pre, NVA Phono 2
Fast Digital Abacus: Bluesound Node 2i (transport), Soncoz SG1
Disc Spinning Device: Technics SL1200-G, AT-VML760, AT-13g shell, KAB Damper, 5mm Funk Firm Mat.
Magic RCA Cables: NVA TIS, SSP MKII (digital & stereo), BlueJeans, Rhodium.
The Sound Cables: NVA LS6

Gmanuk101
Great Britain

Re: Cables make a difference..... (made you look anyway)

further: The close harmony singing in Steven Wilson's "Pariah".... now that made me smile. That's what it's about.
Boxes That Make Things Louder: NVA BMU, M300 Monoblocks x 2, P50se passive pre, NVA Phono 2
Disc Spinning Device: Technics SL1200-G, AT-VML760, AT-13g shell, KAB Damper, 5mm Funk Firm Mat.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Nva amps need nva cables.

That does not mean cables universally make a difference .

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Gmanuk101 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:17 pm I need to bung my ports....
Yes, you need to bung your ports... right out the bloody window. Along with the rest of the speaker. :evil:

On a more serious note - and back on topic - cables seem to make differing amounts of differences to different listeners and to different systems.

It's nice if you've made a cable investment that has made an upgrade to your system at a price that you are happy with.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
Gmanuk101 (Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:27 pm)

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

I have said before, but it bears repeating, when matching electronic boxes interconnect cables make a difference. The problem is that none of the manufacturers provide enough detail about their products to allow an intelligent choice to be made. So, for example, if a CD player needs to see more capacitance than the amp provides a capacitive interconnect may make a significant difference*. How do you know whether the CD player needs a capacitive load, or that the amp isn't capacitive enough? How do you know which cables are capacitive enough and which are too capacitive? Guesswork mainly. You might get lucky and get a cable that creates the perfect match first time, or you might try many cables and never find that perfect match.

The interconnect is part of the circuit, you can't just ignore it and use a cheap freeby from a manufacturer that you have had for 20 years. Well you can but it isn't recommended. There is no easy way except "suck it and see".

*This is a hypothetical example don't go looking for excessively capacitive cables.

Gmanuk101
Great Britain

I've taken my socks out of the ports.. it was boring.

Gmanuk101
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:27 pm Nva amps need nva cables.

That does not mean cables universally make a difference .
where do I start with that sentence.. am not gonna, it would be assumptive and arrogant..pmsl

we've not met, but please do elaborate buddy.. it's always good to..

if you can't be arsed then no worries,..I'd talk about metal density all day if you'd prefer? peace brother.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Cables do make a difference and anyone who thinks otherwise is either hearing impaired or deluded. Quality does not come cheap but there is no need to pay the silly prices which are being shilled on forums. There is no such thing as a universal best cable as it is system dependent. I have no reason to doubt that NVA cables work best In NVA systems. TIS and TISC (LS 7) have had a major impact on the sound of my system. Synergy is important because there was a major improvement when I added lengths of TISC from the DAC to the P90SA to the one connecting the pre amp to the A80s. I experimented a bit on the digital side before settling with DH Labs (thanks to Fret for the heads up). Not cheap but nowhere near a silly price. Synergy being important I have USB, BNC and a short length of ethernet connecting a switch to the streamer.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Gmanuk101 (Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:25 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Gmanuk101
Great Britain

CN211276 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:06 pm Cables do make a difference and anyone who thinks otherwise is either hearing impaired or deluded. Quality does not come cheap but there is no need to pay the silly prices which are being shilled on forums. There is no such thing as a universal best cable as it is system dependent. I have no reason to doubt that NVA cables work best In NVA systems. TIS and TISC (LS 7) have had a major impact on the sound of my system. Synergy is important because there was a major improvement when I added lengths of TISC from the DAC to the P90SA to the one connecting the pre amp to the A80s. I experimented a bit on the digital side before settling with DH Labs (thanks to Fret for the heads up). Not cheap but nowhere near a silly price. Synergy being important I have USB, BNC and a short length of ethernet connecting a switch to the streamer.
think we speak the same dialect here, but I'm lacking the aural vernacular. ;)

Is this 'Synergy' actually really metal touching various metals , thereby raising or lowering capacitance? (I mean my TT cart tags are all copper as the tone arm wire into the pcb is copper, with copper rca). dont wish to create 'tiny batteries'.

I may be wrong of course.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I might be wrong but my understanding of synergy is a manufacturer using similar materials in their different types of cables. The DH Labs website does not provide a lot of detail but copper coated with a layer of silver with quality insulation seems to be a common feature. From a subjective viewpoint, I found that adding DH Labs BNC cables to the USB in the chain resulted in an improvement over the previously fitted Blue Jeans BNC cables. I had previously found the Blue Jeans cables to be better than what I was using before. When it came to a 1m of quality ethernet cable to connect the newly purchased second Cisco switch to the streamer, DH Labs seemed the logical choice.

As to synergy on the NVA analogue side, I'm sure Paul or Tomaz could provide a better response.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc